Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mom vs Job

I have a great job that is very flexible, and allows me to keep my youngest with me for the first year of his life. My oldest goes to daycare three days a week. I am able to work from home when needed, which is a nice added bonus. I know that I am very fortunate to have the job that I have. A lot of moms aren't so lucky. That being said, being a full-time mom and have a full-time job can be both frustrating and exhausting!

These last few weeks have been especially busy for me. We have been dealing with illness, a broken foot that M received after jumping from a chair, and many doctor's appointments and physical therapy appointments. With all of this going on, I feel like I have been running non-stop. And even though I am allowed to miss time to do these things, I still have things at work that need to be done and hours that have to be made up. This has resulted in me doing work before I even leave the house in the morning, working in the evenings and on weekends, and once in a while, even working in the early hours when I am up feeding J.

All of this can be extremely exhausting, so much so that I don't really know if I am coming or going. It makes the days go by fast, but can be difficult to handle. I am lucky that my husband supports me and helps when he can, and also recognizes that I do a lot for the family. And while I wouldn't trade it at all, I sometimes have a very difficult job balancing it all, as well as find time for myself. I guess that is the plight of every mom, though. I just wish I had a roadmap to tell me how to balance it all and find the energy to do it!

No comments: